Monday, 4 January 2010

books, glorious books

Just now, my mother and I were going through the bookshelves (double- and even triple-stacked D: It's no wonder a lot of the books haven't been read in years. When I grow up, I will keep shallow, wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling bookshelves. They're a lot easier to manage and look through :D) for Noel Streatfeild's books for my sister to read, and my father was downloading something in the background. My sister now not only has the whole 'shoes collection to read, she's got stuff like E. Nesbit and Nancy Drew and Beverly Cleary as well. (And while we were going through, we found so many Enid Blyton books, I can't imagine how my sister can say she can't find any and all. A whole back-shelf of Enid Blyton, jeez.

Midway through taking out books and shuffling the back rows, there'd be odd books like Covenant or something, and then my mother/father would expound on how amazing it was, and how much trash I'm reading :P 

Lots of the kids books aren't mine, even. All the Nancy Drew were my mother's, and even some of the Faraway Tree books. (heh my copy was a single, colourful, rainbow coloured full edition :D)

(I just turned around and opened the only cupboard not used for bags/stationery by my sister, and LOOK IT'S FULL OF BOOKS TOO, this time mostly my books and books my father wants me to read but I've never actually gotten round to reading gosh. I never knew we had soso many. The triple-stacks are deceiving o.o)

I don't have to go to the library for at least the term, or more. On my desk now are 'Life of Pi', 'Middlemarch', 'Life and Death in Shanghai', 'Time Stops for No Mouse', and 'The World According to Garp' (all with a "stop reading junk" from both parents. And my aunt when she popped by to get something. But okay I like to think what I'm reading is already considered fairly good and they have a skewed vision (that they refuse to correct) of what I read anyway :/ Would they just take. a. look. at. my. desk. -.- my whole family can be so muleheaded sometimes, and we are all having Communication Problems :/ but what the heck.) And I still have 'Character Above All', and am in the middle of some Mercedes Lackey book I can't even remember the title of :/ (ok tells you how mediocre the book is. ohwell. it's not bad, even if it isn't great)

I desperately want a bookshelf (at least my height kind, and decently long) in my room, but there is no space. After a month or so on my desk the books are alwaysalways relegated to cupboards behind me, and out of sight, out of mind :(

No comments: