Tuesday, 2 February 2010

a fire when it's cold outside, a shelter when it rains

I returned Handle With Care to Mira today,  didn't really like it. Haha feeling very very happy now, because I've started on The World According To Garp, and the writing's so frank and straightforward and good, and the characters and plot believable and very real, and unpretentious, it's just a great :D

(And it is a huge, welcome and refreshing change from Handle With Care, which I frankly did not like at all.)

I've found that what books I read often affects my my mood afterwards heh. Like Lady Knight, Dragonhaven, and World According to Garp all made me happy heh. (no longlong lists, because I have Short Term Memory when it comes to books I've read recently whoops) And not-too-good books made me feel annoyed and -.- at the end of the day :/

Handle With Care, spoilers and criticisms. (so don't read if Jodi Picoult is your favourite author. I don't have a high opinion of it, at all.)
I'm near swearing off all Jodi Picoult books. Every. last. one. of. them. has a dysfunctional family. And messed up people with messed up minds. And contrived, fake situations. I found the story very pretentious. Which idiot will sue their best friend, gods. The whole 'Charlotte-suing-best-friend-for-money-because-she-loves-Willow-too-much' dilemma was just, ugh. Perhaps it's because I'm not Westernised enough to buy the argument, but it seemed to me like a pretty poor effort at trying to explain why the hell you're telling your kid she was a wrongful birth. Like, sure, she's trying to make you question what's morality and wrongful birth and all that, but it just didn't come across. It could be that there were too many elements (when is suing for wrongful birth right? when is suing your best friend for doing the best she could right? is martyrism a good cause? and frankly i say no and never, flat out, so this is a bit biased, forgive me) I saw no purpose in killing Willow either, other than to make the ending 'so sad' and tear-jerking.

I'm going to get a room of my own!! :DD I'm moving to the study room hurhur. Everything's falling apart there, so my parents want to redesign the whole room(complete with wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling bookshelves! :D whee no more cannot-find-books-because-they're-probably-stacked-four-books-into-the-shelf. and full access to all my books hehe. but gosh ventilation sucks. okay you win some you lose some :D and this is lots of Win) and I get to stay in it for about four years haha (until my brother's big enough to need his own room)

I feel like I have Balance again :D Despite the fact that I've been coughing my way throughout the day, despite the fact that I wake up in the morning with absolutely no voice, despite the fact that school's been absolutely killer and I don't think I've done any homework since, well, last year. But, well, Balance :) I'll work it out, somehow. And soon.

Today's match was fine :) A lot better than our last match ^.^ We ran after the match, 3 rounds under 1.30. Haha I'm feeling happy that I managed it comfortably the first round, even if the other two died by a lot. But it's Improvement :D I like improvement :DD

//i looked over my post after i post it and i was like, oh it's february now. haha january's seemed to drag on for so long, in a happy/comfortable/please-drag-on-longer way. except for jap. then it's a hurry-up-and-end kind of :/ feeling. rahh jap is giving me so many Problems i don't know to quit or stay :(

No comments: