Sunday, 28 April 2013

luck is where preparation meets opportunity

Sigh ever since line-change during training on Friday I am scared all over again for tomorrow's match :( in addition to feeling bad/slightly guilty/don't-know-what-to-do, thank goodness for batchmates :) especially Shihui, who I'm now in the same line as!

Had Chem prac make-up on Thursday, gravimetric is srsly the most boring thing in the world. Had to sit there and directly heat a boiling tube for 10min twice, and I didn't know anyone else in the lab so all I could do was sit there and stare the the blue flames surrounding the boiling tube.
On the other hand, super glad to have tzs for our teacher. (Although Wrong Wong who took us for relief once was pretty cool too HAHA he spent half the lesson talking about Akihabara and Japanese customs/life lessons and still managed to finish a tutorial + enlighten us on Chem bonding + release us early xD)

Mr Tham: I'm not just here to teach you about Chemistry. The more important thing is for me to teach you about life.
And the amazing thing is that he doesn't shove it down your throat, he just says a couple of sentences and you know he's dead serious about these expectations, yet it feels completely natural. Another one,

Mr Tham : It's okay not to know anything. It's my job to help you understand. It's okay to ask stupid questions about things you should have known in secondary school, as long as you ask them and understand after that.
Which really made me feel a lot better about being so lousy at Chem :) He actually explains every stupid question in class as if they were perfectly legit and that is just wow.

During Friday's Lit block, Ms Lim was asking the girls some marriage/relationship/etc. questions again
Zhixin: Kimberly and I brought water bottles too!
One of the guys: Quick start drinking!

Skillswise, was a lot more 'on the ball' during training, although that might be just an illustration of how bad my drag shots are (we did drag on Wednesday) vs direct shots :P Tried to learn how to be in a new line again (just thinking about it now is panic-inducing): and went for dinner with Chongrong after that :)

Went to school after seeing the tieda yesterday to study/play with Chongrong and Cyndi + talk to Lizzi and Jazell, ended up getting a super late lunch 'cause I went for NDP interview in between! Borrowed a shirt 'cause as usual I forgot to bring a collared tee -.- Haha but going there was really good, saw Rizal again (had to check Facebook for his name OOPS haha but he's not going for this year's 'cause of NS unfortunately): and he's actually matured since two years ago HAHA. Saw Yingqian's name while signing off too, manz all of this really brings back memories :')
At night there were SUPER A LOT of yucky fly-things around Raja block that kept flying into the lights/dropping on the floor, after a while Cyndi and I couldn't tank (Chongrong couldn't care less) so all of us moved to the windy benches xD

Last Sunday, I holed myself up in my room and scoured Tumblr looking for inspirational pictures to print on notes + writing the notes themselves. At the same time I played my several-hours-long pre-competition playlist. Today was pretty much the same (looks like every Sunday will be open-iTunes-and-play-day hahhah), except replacing notes-writing time with watching Randy Pausch's Last Lecture (again, but the last time was in primary/early secondary school, so) and sleeping HAHA.
(Fair warning, it's more than an hour long!)

The transcript http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/Randy/pauschlastlecturetranscript.pdf

Was super inspired by him five years ago, and I'm still inspired now. And I guess the amazing thing is I can come back to this video again in another five years' time and learn something completely new. Parts that spoke to me particularly, right here right now, were:
When you do something young enough and you train for it, it just becomes a part of you.
Exactly what I feel whenever I pick up a ball. I will always miss throwing-with-your-hands ball sports in general and netball in particular, I think. The other day our class played handball and it still felt right even though it was some squishy foamy ball. Not sure how to explain it to anyone who hasn't switched sports, but it doesn't mean that I love floorball any less. Just have more than one love :)
I was so scared back in those days as a junior academic. Jim Foley's here and I just love to tell this story. He knew my undergraduate advisor, Andy Van Dam, and I'm at my first conference and I'm just scared to death. And this icon in the user interface community walks up to me a just out of nowhere just gives me this huge bear hug and he says, that was from Andy. And that was when I thought, okay, maybe I can make it. maybe I do belong.
^ This. Just -- how much affirmation can mean to someone.
Find the best in everybody. One of the things that Jon Snoddy as I said told me, is that you might have to wait a long time, sometimes years, but people will show you their good side. Just keep waiting no matter how long it takes. No one is all evil. Everybody has a good side, just keep waiting, it will come out.
And,
Anybody can get chewed out. It's the rare person who says, oh my god, you were right. As opposed to, no wait, the real reason is… We've all heard that. When people give you feedback, cherish it and use it.
Wise words :) (not to mention he's a great speaker!) Haha maybe next Sunday I will find another video to watch ;D There's still the one on time-management hohum.

From my playlist; (okay you can tell I like dramatic music HAHA today you can listen to the shorter ones)



No comments: