Saturday, 7 June 2014

your brain not f(x)ing la

 Bloody long post haha have fun (or just skip!) More for myself to remember :)


^ because I rmb this song from pre-u sem HAHA

our amazing 10gent
(what a nerdy name though HAHA of all the words with 'ten' in them xD) (and it's not even ten it's 'tan' HAHA)
Haha what to say about Pre-U Seminar. It was an incredibly unforgettable experience, and yet I want to record it here because this is something I want to be able to come back to in future years, instead of having to rack my brains but still come up short.

Generalisations out of the way first - Pre-U Sem was amazing, working with Wesson and Nick was not what I expected it to be yet perhaps I learned more because of this, and most importantly, team 10gent has taught me things I didn't expect to learn :)

Day 1 was complaining about 'rush to wait, wait to rush'; reached NUS PGPR (where we were staying) at 6.45 to dump our bags but our bus to UCC only came at 7+/8+? Was pretty sad the first night in my room 'cause it just felt so stuffy and hot and lonely :( (also at that point I really missed school toilets!! which are so airy and clean) NUS PGPR has this really messed up system when you have to use a transponder to go anywhere from your floor to your living corridor to your room, so I beep my thing like thrice from the ground floor to my bed haha. There's a pantry for every corridor though, and the girls' pantry is nice to hang around in ^.^ (as opposed to the boys' pantry on the 3rd floor where apparently rotting food in the fridge stinks up the whole place HAHA)
(Also for some reason everyone saw Wesson's name as 'Weeson' so they continued calling him that for the whole seminar xD
Tammie: Handsum Weesom
Zeke: Wee-san!)

Didn't do much on Day 2 apart from listening to panellists (our group had Ang Bee Lian, Ong Ye Kung and Wally Tham!) talk, which was super interesting 'cause Ang Bee Lian would jump from one social issue to another, like hoarding to homelessness, and all of them had a lot of experiences
(Wally (in response to questions about family, he always talks about his wife): I always think of my wife as this really kickass, awesome, (insert three more adjectives here that I can't remember) person. We go filming in like, the slums of Cambodia together and she'll just sit down and talk to the people there.)
(Nick: Yknow how three people were supposed to be there right, and one person was late. We were betting that the last person was 'Wally Tham', 'cause 'Where's Wally?')
(actually the late person was Ong Ye Kung haha)

Also while giving out dinner suddenly Nick produced a whole stack of cards that he'd taken from Wesson's wallet, and started giving them out to random group members ('A present for you, one for you, present for you,')
Midway through dinner:
Nick: Eh Wesson can you lend me $5 I want to buy something from minimart.
(Wesson points to his wallet on the floor)
Nick: Help me take la I don't want to dig through your wallet.
Wesson: Orh okay. (He gives Nick $5 and puts his wallet back)
(At which point all of us are shaking with laughter and Not Looking There and it's so unnaturally quiet that Wesson realises)
Wesson: Huh? What's wrong?
(20s later)
Wesson: Oh.. Guys.. where's my cards...
Nick: I don't have a single one of your cards. Your group members took them.
(Cherie lifts her laptop to show a card underneath it, but Wesson doesn't see it anyway)
Wesson: Why you so ninja Nick I didn't even know! Who has my cards.. :(
Anthia: How many cards do you have?
Wesson: Uhh.. four..?
(although the actual number was closer to twice that HAHA)

They're a really fun group la :) on the second night the boys wanted to stay up late, so they dragged all their chairs from their rooms to form an uncle corridor on the third floor where they faced each other and talked until the teacher patrol passed by, following which they retreated into a room and made as much noise as they liked xD (Gangxin: We purposely gather outside so that we will know when the teachers pass by!) And while the boys were doing that we were watching Pitch Perfect in the pantry just so that we could sing along to the songs HAHA
haha also we were playing charades on the phone, and

'Ox'
Someone: It's like a male cow
Jenna: Reindeer??

'Wallaby'
Someone: Uhh it's in Australia. Damn hard leh!
Jenna: I KNOW I KNOW CAMEL!

'Wave Function' (he'd already guessed wave)
Darren: FX!! You know your Math anot
Gangxin: What is fx??
(time runs out)
Wesson: Your brain not f(x)ing la!!

'Lying' (a girl was doing this)
Wesson: YOU VERY PRETTY

Most of the last day was spent in the discussion room while they did their product, so the three of us took turns babysitting them/hiding in the TV lounge nearby drawing their cards hehe. (also it was the most comfortable day because we spent the whole day in PGPR and so could wear anything we wanted!! teehee)

And the last night was v fun :)) started off in a room downstairs with couches and aircon and whatnot playing music and cards. At 12am Mr Chris poked his head into the room and said 'I know it's the last night and all, but don't y'all think you're being a bit too obvious?' And when we were going up the lift there was a balloon fight where Nick kept trying to dump a balloon on us as the door was closing, and it just went back and forth with the doors opening and closing until Nick finally fumbled and was like SHIT as our door closed hahahah.

Eventually we fetched the boys to our floor to enjoy our last night together as a team, and they all came up via the fire escape 'cause it was too mafan to go via the lift xD played charades, boys marvelled at our clean pantry, failed at bridge 'cause brains stopped working, Wesson was the eternal peasant at taiti and Nick the eternal asshole, until at some point at 2am a teacher points at our pantry and shouts 'BOYS!' (because all the girls are sitting on chairs while the boys are standing around/sitting on tables) so we quickly siam out of there and switch off the lights, with all the boys going back to their rooms except for Nick and Wesson who hide in our rooms.

At first most people are in my room except for Wesson, so we rubbish around until THERE IS A KNOCK ON THE DOOR and Nick hurries to hide in the closet. We're damn scared it's a teacher so we're whispering and whatnot and there is a second knock which is damn scary?? But upon opening the door there is no one outside and suddenly Wesson's head pops out and goes 'BOO!' hahahaha he sucks. We spend most of the time talking and playing round-robin truth-or-truth/'i have ever/never' (every other option having been rejected as 'too noisy' and since we weren't really in the sabo-ing mood) which is actually a really fun thing to do haha just listening to everyone's stories :) all of us were too braindead to think of questions, so we searched Yahoo HAHA and there were some really good questions there! Like 'what is your most embarrassing moment' and 'who in this room would you choose to be your slave' hahahah.
(All the while Nick's eyes are almost closing but he says 'NO I WILL BE THE LAST TO SLEEP')

At 4am we have another (probably legit) heart attack moment when we hear the gate open, and suddenly all of us stop talking and Wesson goes to stealth-lock the room door in case anyone decides to knock. All the while we're wondering which messed up soul would walk around patrolling at 4am?? After a short while we hear the gate click again and everything goes back to normal until 5am, when everyone decides they can't tank already and start falling asleep so we disband
Wesson: Nick can I sleep with you tonight?
Everyone: ??!?
Wesson: I scared I oversleep tmrw..
(and I felt that the really amazing thing about the night was how we didn't need to spend it bitching about people? Like how many times do you spend an extended amount of time with people just talking nonsense hahahah in truth not many for me these last couple of years)

So on the last night I was bathing and had a bit of time to kill before going for SLO debrief, so I thought I'd pop by the pantry and join the girls for a while. Sang and whistled until I walked into the room, and I saw them with vanguard and paper and stuff which looked like stuff for their booth. So I said 'Eh that's damn nice', then suddenly everyone was staring at me with this :O face and I was like 'WHAT' did I sing very badly or smth?? Then they started screaming 'GET OUT WHY ARE YOU HERE!!' and I realised what they were doing hahahaha xD

from the sweetest team ever :')
(also nick hiding his full name, which the team found out 'cause someone took his wallet on the third day xD)
Also there was one time I went up to get my phone charger, and Hwee Lin was on both trips with me. At that point I still wasn't allowed into the pantry, so I was asking her 'You're going down to the room again?' and she said 'No lah fetching the boys upstairs to do the... video.' HAHA I nearly couldn't control my laughter.

Other things:
Wesson always offering to go throw the food waste/packets and do saigang
Nick carrying the food all the way back to our block and not letting us carry it
Jenna always taking the initiative to clear up
Gangxin and his energetic stories
Isabel's way of saying things that are always heartfelt
Ariff being funny
Jaslyn's very deadpan comments
Tammie's sweet way of including everyone around her
Vivian's funny reactions
Darren's eternally lame jokes
Other things I can't bring to mind at the moment

Final day itself was a bit of a blur 'cause I think I was half-asleep and surviving on sugar, walked around in socks for a while 'cause my shoes were wet after running in the rain to find Vivian to pass her her card before she went back to school for exam xD spent a lot of time hiding behind the board while 10gent people explained our product to people in front, and listening to funny stories :) some of the group went out for dinner afterwards, and I regretted going 'cause started to crash the moment we reached Buona and I just totally didn't have any energy to eat, so by the end of an hour my bowl of noodles still looked pretty untouched :P ANW MY IMPRESSION WAS THAT IT WAS A GOOD DAY :)

and a good seminar
and a good team

almost i'd forgotten how genuinely nice and inclusive a group of people can be :)

No comments: